- Regard the church and its grounds as a cross curricular resource
- Ask that congregation members are present when the school visits the church and enable the sharing of personal stories and anecdotes and the faith and the community.
- Prior to a church visit, invite church members into school to meet the children.
- Look for known family connections in the registers (can be sensitive – take care and consult with school before doing this).
- Collaborate between church members, clergy, foundation governors and school when devising visit packages. Ensure that clergy are aware of learning outcomes and specific requirements in advance of the visit (exemplar pre-visit proforma WEBLINK)
- Ask the church for special dates in the church’s year (e.g. Christingle, family or all age worship, carol services, summer fairs etc. This invites collaboration or welcome and avoids unhelpful diary clashes.
- Hold parish carol singing round the school or the church Christmas tree. Use alternate venues on alternate years.
(see also the section on the curriculum)