Many churches in this diocese are registered as Fairtrade Churches
What does this mean?
The Church Council of a Fairtrade Church agrees to the following:
- Use Fairtrade tea and coffee after services and in all meetings for which they have responsibility
- Use other Fairtrade products such as sugar, biscuits and fruit
- Promote Fairtrade in Fairtrade Fortnight and during the year through events, worship and other activities whenever possible
To register as a Fairtrade Church, please complete the Church Application Form and send to the Fairtrade Foundation.
Many schools in this diocese are registered as Fairtrade Schools
What does this mean?
There are three award stages to becoming a Fairtrade School: FairAware, FairActive and FairAchiever.
Each stage helps the school learn about Fairtrade and get actively involved in the promotion and awareness of Fairtrade, thereby making a difference in the lives of marginalised farmers and workers.
Find out more.
Is the CofE Diocese of Leeds a Fairtrade Diocese?
No. Our diocese is not registered. We have to start the registration process.
To attain Fairtrade status our diocese has to pledge to do the following:
- Support and promote Fairtrade. Encourage the use and sale of Fairtrade products and serve only Fairtrade coffee and tea at meetings it is responsible for.
- Ensure that at least half of the churches or places of worship in our diocese have become a registered ‘Fairtrade Church’.
- Encourage other local churches, parishes, circuits etc. to adopt a Fairtrade policy. As far as possible, display literature advertising the fact that Fairtrade products are used and served there.
- Attract further media coverage and continue raising awareness of the FAIRTRADE Mark. If possible, make reference to the diocese’s Fairtrade status on the relevant website.
- Set up a Fairtrade steering group to take responsibility for monitoring that goals continue to be met and developed over time.
A transitional steering group for Fairtrade issues in the Diocese of West Yorkshire and the Dales is working towards the registration of Leeds CofE Diocese as a Fairtrade Diocese and encouraging the promotion of Fairtrade in our churches and schools.
If you would like to join this group, please email fairtrade [at] saltsvillage.co.uk (subject: Fairtrade) (Barbara Judd).