To be eligible for a free online giving account for your church ensure you are registered with Parish Buying in the first instance. You will then be able to set up your online giving account with SumUp/GiveaLittle. Access this download for a quick and easy introduction to setting up this online account.
These online giving accounts are free due to a contribution made by the Church of England. The monthly subscription usually costs £10, which also allows you to collect Gift Aid from the donor. Every donation is subject to a banking charge of 1.95% per transaction, but this deal represents the best value currently available to churches.
Another good reason to be registered with Parish Buying is that you can purchase a contactless giving device if you wish. There is no obligation to have one of these because your online giving account may be an adequate way to collect donations from your community by advertising on your websites but it is useful to consider offering as many giving mechanisms as possible to potential givers.
Setting up an account won't mean the donations will come flooding in! There are still things to consider:
- Promote your giving account on your website, A Church Near You, social media and on printed materials. This film tells you more: https://vimeo.com/419983855
- Create a QR code for your giving page enabling givers to scan the code with their smartphone and be taken straight to your online giving page. Find out more regarding QR codes and how to use them here
- It may not be enough to simply put your giving page link online. Do you explain the needs of your church, perhaps say you wish to be warm, hospitable and welcoming or talk about vital mission work? Do you thank people for their generosity and explain how their gifts have made a difference? See more: https://vimeo.com/5083365
- Tell a good story about your church on Facebook or on your printed leaflets and invite people to donate. Some non church-goers like to support local community causes or historic buildings so consider messaging out to other Facebook community groups or send leaflets out into the wider community.
- Make online giving part of your ‘digital liturgy’. If you have an online service, could you include a regular form of words to invite people to give?
- Make use of the Church of England's animation about giving. Find it in your ACNY resource section and personalise it with your own giving details. View the film here: https://vimeo.com/434326212
- Remember that online giving is only one mechanism for giving and that other forms of giving are still very valuable as people's confidence develops. Keep existing methods and aim to introduce online giving gently and sensitively to your community.