We have compiled a list of all the most useful places to go to seek information on church finance matters. You can find stewardship and income generation advice here. If you have any link suggestions that you think should be included, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Finance Data from the Returns of Parish Finance
- Richmond and Craven Archdeaconry
- Leeds Archdeaconry
- Bradford Archdeaconry
- Halifax Archdeaconry
- Pontefract Archdeaconry
- The Diocese of Leeds
To access the Parish Returns website to view or submit finance and mission data please click here. If you need details about how to log in please email email@example.com
Some people find it helpful to print off a copy of the form as they collect together the numbers before entering in to their return. If you would find this helpful, the forms are given below:
Returns of Parish Finance (PDF)
Returns of Parish Finance (Excel)
The deadline for the 2022 Return of Parish Finance is 28th June 2023.
This site is provided by the Church of England’s National Stewardship & Resources team and offers over 400 pages of resources (web & pdf) to support all aspects of stewardship, administration and management in the local church, as well as links to other sites and pages of interest.
- PCCs - Resources for PCC members (as charity trustees), registering with the Charity Commission, GDPR & APCM forms .
- People - Resources to help you develop gifts and talents, employ staff, work with volunteers, safeguarding and more.
- Administration - A range of practical guidance to support aspects of parish administration and management
- Parish Finance - Resources for treasurers - tips for new treasurers, support on producing accounts, managing risk and reserves.
- Gift Aid - A range of Gift Aid factsheets including action parishes need to take in 2015 including the Small Donations Scheme.
- Buying - Find out about the Parish Buying initiative which provides contracts and guidance to save parishes time and money.
- Giving - Resources to encourage giving, on Giving for Life and for nurturing legacy giving.
- Buildings - Lots of resources on caring for your church buildings, funding them, and running Friends Schemes,
- Other - A range of other resources. You can also order resources from this site. Browse the site map.
Parish Buying was created and is run by the Church to support you in your local buying decisions and on this site you will find a range of competitive deals all focussed on saving you time and money.
There are also a number of Buying Guides covering a range of spend areas to help you make better buying decisions. Parish Buying is about more than saving money - it is about good stewardship and releasing resource for mission and ministry.
The Association of Church Accountants and Treasurers (ACAT)
ACAT aim to advance the Christian faith across all denominations by providing members with the most appropriate advice, training and information on accounting, financial, legal and other related issues. ACAT supports around 18,500 church treasurers across the UK - and this number is constantly growing.
Membership to ACAT costs £22 per year. The Leeds Diocesan Board of Finance will reimburse this cost to you. Simply submit a paid invoice and your bank details for re-imbursement to firstname.lastname@example.org
ACAT also produce a Handbook for new treasurers and it is free for all to access here.
PCC Accountability: The Charities Act 2011 and the PCC
The 5th Edition of PCC Accountability (incorporating SORP 2015) was published by Church House Publishing in February 2017. You can download a copy from Parish Resources here but if you would like a paper copy, please contact us at email@example.com. We have also links to the chapters below.
PCC Accountability Guide contents:
- Introduction and Legal Overview
- Principles of Trust Funds: Accounting and Reporting
- The Annual Report
- Receipts and payments Accounting
- Receipts and Payments Accounting Example
- Accruals Accounting?
- Financial Statements (Accruals Accounting)
- Financial Statements (Accruals Accounting) Example
- Moving between Receipts and Payments and Accruals Accounting
- Group Consolidated Accounts and Annual Reports
- Independent Examination